Skip to main content

The Staedtler Tradition Pencil Review

 Aha! We have it! A striped pencil! This is the first pencil I've reviewed at under £1. It's quality no doubt - who doesn't recognise this just from the pictures?

It's pegged to be below the Mars Lumograph in the Staedtler range and comes in at £0.77 over at Cult Pens. I bought one just to see what it was like in comparison to my more fancy pencils. Check out my reviews of Tombow, Mitsubishi, Faber-Castell, and the like for info on those.

Yes, that text on the barrel is not embossed, rest assured it will come off pretty sharpish through use. I'm cool with that though as we're comfortably sub-£1 here. It even comes in 14 degrees of lead from 6B to 4H. It doesn't really come much cheaper with major brand pencils. Okay, maybe the Staedtler Noris is a tiny bit cheaper.

It's a nice pencil - I'd say the feel is nigh on identical to the Mars Lumograph and at a lower price. Your mates aren't going to look at the tradition and think... Woah cool! though. That's for sure.

Awesome value though. You can get a few assorted lead grades with a sharpener and an eraser for about £5. Can't say anything bad against that. Maybe if you're kitting out your kid for school you go with these. They also come with a rubber tip version - I'm not a fan of those though, separate eraser all the way! Gives me something else to nerd out on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

e+m Workman Long Clutch Pencil 5.6mm Review

 This is the fattest pencil I own, or should that be the chunkiest? No... most robust? It's good right! I got this as a really quick outlining sort of pencil - for when I'm mind mapping or jotting down process flows or something. And to show off a little bit at the office. Sue me. Call the cops. Why don't I start with what I don't like? The finish on the wood. I went for a black finish and it was wearing off before I knew it. Now I do have a little bit of a sweaty paw so this may have been the issue... but still. Have a look at the pics.  The lead does need a little tickle up with a pointer (e+m do a really nice one which I have) You can see this as a pain in the backside or as part of the experience. There's something really therapeutic about pointing lead to me. What's to like about it? Well, that wooden barrel is just really nice to hold in the hand. The finish might be coming off but it gives great grip and a nice warmth. It's a heavy pencil with that ch

Staedtler Norris Eco Pencil Review

Cool little pencil this one. It's made from extruded wood fibers. It's actually only 70% wood which obviously means they can get a lot more pencils out of a tree. Hence that Eco name. They use wood flour which is a by-product of the forestry industry... read about WOPEX here.   They are literally making pencils out of the "sweepings off the floor". I'm actually of the opinion that if it's sustainable forestry what's the issue? But when I held this in my hand I noticed something I love about it. The weight... that fancy WOPEX stuff is dense! The branding and text really pops out of that black colour as well and has a much better finish than the Mars Lumograph. Honestly, not sure why the text rubbing off on that pencil sticks in my craw so much. It feels great - has a similar weight to the Caran D'ache Swiss Wood but this one is more of a normal pencil thickness.  The writing experience is pretty much the same as the Staedtler Tradition really. Not great